If you need really quick access to launch a frequently used application, without adding additional icons to the desktop, you can add this application to the desktop context menu:
1. Open "regedit.exe" through the search bar or "Win + R".
2. Go to the path "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ Background \ shell".
3. Right-click the "shell" folder.
4. Select "Create" from the menu, then "Section".
5. Give the new key the name that you want to display in the desktop context menu. For example, Notepad.
6. Right-click on the created folder.
7. Select "New" from the menu, then "Section".
8. Give this section the name "command" in lower case.
9. Click on the "command" folder.
10. Click on the "Default" file on the right side.
11. Paste the full path to the executable file. For example, if it is notepad, then "C: \ Windows \ System32 \ notepad.exe", quotation marks are required.
Now, if you right-click on the desktop, a new menu item will appear. Naturally, clicking on this menu item should start notepad.