This week on tech, at IFA 2014 in Berlin, Microsoft announced three new Nokia Windows Phone headsets, Lumia 730/735 (the selfie phones), and Lumia 830, and a bunch of accessories such as the Microsoft Screen Sharing HD-10, wireless charger plates and many more.
ASUS announced the EeeBook X205, a new Windows 8.1 with Bing laptop with a price tag of $199, aim to fight back Chromebooks. And to counter Android tablets, Toshiba launched the Encore Mini 7-inch Windows 8.1 tablet with a price tag of $119.99. Acer followed up by announcing the Iconia Tab 8 W, a 8-inch tablet with a little more powerful hardware raising the price to $149.99.
A new Xbox One promotion was revealed this week that offers a free game when buying a new console from September 7 – 13. Check out the article for more details.
September free games with Gold brings Super Time Force for Xbox One and Monaco: What’s Your is Mine and Halo: Reach to Xbox 360.
At IFA 2014 Microsoft unveiled the next Lumia update, Denim, which will introduce “hey Cortana” passive voice activation command. Basically with the next update, Cortana will always be listening in your phone and ready for your commands, hands-free. Lumia Denim will also include various improvements to the Lumia flagship of phones including support for 4K recording, faster camera app launch, and more.
On the Windows Threshold rumor mill, this week we learned that Microsoft is already letting partners access early builds of Windows Threshold, Microsoft China accidentally confirms the “Windows 9” name for the operating system, more information about a notification center for Windows 9 has surfaced, and this week I also wrote a complete summary of every rumor that has been floating around the web on Threshold, a very interesting read. All this and more…
Welcome to 10Alert: IT Digest edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- Windows Threshold: the notification center is coming
- ASUS announces EeeBook X205 $199 Windows laptop to counter Chromebooks
- New accessories for Lumia 730/735, and 830 including Screen Sharing
- Xbox One promo: Buy a console and get any game for free
- Microsoft’s Nokia Lumia 730/735, the selfie Windows Phone headsets announced
- Microsoft’s Nokia Lumia 830 announced
- ‘Hey Cortana’: Microsoft unveils an always listening Windows Phone assistant
- Toshiba and Acer join the cheap Windows 8 tablet’s market
- September Xbox One and Xbox 360 free games with Gold
- Microsoft letting partners download Windows Threshold builds
- Microsoft China confirms Windows 9 name for the next OS
- Windows 9 (Threshold): The ultimate summary on expected features