This week on tech, during the world’s largest trade show for consumer electronics also known as IFA happened in Berlin, and many computer makers showed off a number of new devices coming later this year.
Among all the announced products, Lenovo introduced the IdeaPad Miix 700 tablet, which looks identical to the Surface Pro 3, but it includes some unique additions, such as watchband hinges in the kickstand, two USB ports, and it bundles a TypeCover like keyboard.
Asus unveiled the VivoStick tiny computer running Windows 10, and the RT-AC5300U “world’s fastest” router with an interesting design. Also, the company introduced the Zen AiO line of Windows 10 PCs with a stylish aluminum metal design — very similar to Apple’s iMac design –. At IFA 2015, Acer introduced one of the first Windows 10 Mobile handsets with support of Continuum for phones.
Intel officially launched its 6th-generation Core processors codenamed “Skylake” and reveals that the company has been working very closely with Microsoft to optimize its 48 different processors to work best with Windows 10.
IFA couldn’t be complete without the presence of the software giant. On Friday, September 4th, Microsoft took the stage at IFA 2015 to highlight a number of new devices running Windows 10, but the company didn’t announce anything we already knew. Instead, Microsoft simply talk about the advantage of Windows 10 and showed a few new devices from different partners, such as Dell, Acer, Asus, and Toshiba. (I added the entire event to our YouTube channel, so if you missed it, you can watch the complete event without interruptions.)
New rumored this week suggests that Microsoft is working to roll out Windows 10 “Threshold 2” in November, instead of the original rumor, which indicated that it was going to release in October. The new update aims to address various issues in the operating system and it will also bring a number of new features, such as extension support for Microsoft Edge, a new Messaging app, and more. However, Threshold 2 isn’t a big update as Redstone, which is the next major update for Windows 10 that will arrive in two parts sometime in 2016.
Early this week we had some new statistic data that shows that Microsoft’s latest operating system now represents 5.21% of market, which further indicates Windows 10 is off to a great start.
Microsoft also announced that Cortana is now available for testing in India, Canada, Japan, and Australia, and more countries will join pretty soon.
If you have been waiting to buy a new Xbox One, perhaps the Elite bundle is what you have been waiting for. The Xbox One Elite Bundle packs a 1TB hybrid hard drive and the new customizable wireless controller — all for $500.
This week, I also added a few new Windows 10 how-to guides to help you remove the Windows 10 logon screen or to set your own custom background, and you learned how to set different wallpapers on a multi-monitor setup quickly and easily. All this and more…
Welcome to 10Alert, Weekly IT Digest edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- Asus announces the VivoStick $129 tiny PC running Windows 10
- Asus RT-AC5300U router offers blazing Wi-Fi speeds with an aggressive design
- Watch the complete Microsoft IFA 2015 Windows 10 hardware event (video)
- Windows 10 ‘Threshold 2’ release date likely to be in November
- Asus’ Zen AiO Windows 10 PC packs 4K display on a stylish brushed metal design
- Acer unveils its first Windows 10 Mobile phone with Continuum support
- Intel officially launches its 6th-gen Core ‘Skylake’ processors optimized for Windows 10
- Lenovo’s Miix 700 tablet is a reinvention of the Microsoft Surface
- Windows 10 now represents 5.21% of all PCs usage in the market
- How to set different wallpapers on multi-monitor setup in Windows 10
- Cortana for Windows 10 PCs arrives in India, Canada, Japan, and Australia
- Xbox One Elite Bundle packs 1TB hybrid drive and customizable controller for $500
- How to change the logon screen with a custom background in Windows 10
- How to remove the Windows 10 logon screen background and use solid color