This week on tech, Windows 10 Technical Preview reaches over one million testers, Microsoft releases Surface Hub app in the Store to add customization to the Surface Pro 3 pen. Skype Qik is a new video messaging app only available for mobile devices, but it’s available for Windows Phone, Android, and iPhone.
In October Patch Tuesday, Microsoft released new updates for several of its products fixing 24 vulnerabilities in Windows, Internet Explorer, and Office. The Surface family also received a new firmware update, though Surface Pro 3 will get the update in a few weeks. Continuing with updates, the October Xbox One system update is out bringing support for MKV file and a number of major changes to the gaming operating system.
This week I also talked about how Windows 10 Universal apps are changing and adapting to the desktop environment.
On Windows 10, this week we looked at how to undo the registry tweak that allows users to view new builds of the operating system, as it’s been advised by Microsoft that this change will actually prevent users from getting new updates. We also looked at the new Share button in the File Explorer and what it represents for the future of Windows. And I published a set of instructions to fix the high DPI scaling on Windows 10 for those users testing the operating system on virtual machines.
Finally, Google launched the longtime awaited Android 5.0, which is called Lollipop, it’s an updated operating system for mobile devices with new interesting features. With a new operating system, Google also revealed a new flagship of devices including the new Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and the Nexus Player. All this and more…
Welcome to 10Alert: IT Digest edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- How to fix Windows 10 DPI scaling on virtual machines with high-definition displays
- Windows 10: Share button arrives to the File Explorer
- How to fix Windows 10 registry tweak to view builds as it’ll prevent future updates
- Google devices lineup: Nexus 6, Nexus 9, and Nexus Player (tech specs)
- Xbox One October update rolls out with MKV support and major changes
- Google’s Android 5.0 is called Lollipop, here are the features
- Microsoft Patch Tuesday October 2014 brings 24 vulnerability fixes to Windows, IE, Office
- Surface family gets firmware update on October Patch Tuesday, Surface Pro 3 doesn’t
- Windows 10: Universal apps shortcuts to the desktop
- Skype Qik video messaging app for Windows Phone, Android, iPhone ready for download
- Windows 10 hits one million testers, it’s a good start