This week on tech, new leaked images from Windows 9 made its way to web revealing a little more about the Start menu and windowed modern apps. Microsoft launched a new site with 39 videos to teach customers all the basics on how to use Windows Phone 8.1.
Insteon, one of the largest companies to sell house automation products, is about to release a new app that integrates with Cortana and it will allow her to control many elements on the house such as light bulbs, thermostat, outlets and switches, and a lot more.
A new video shows a behind the scene of Microsoft’s secret Surface labs. Confusion from Microsoft’s conference call let many to believe that the tech giant is dumping all versions of its operating system and creating one single version of Windows that works across all platforms, but this isn’t quite what the company was trying to communicate.
Microsoft further confirms that Windows RT will merge with Windows Phone in the next Threshold Mobile update. As Windows Phone 8.1 starts rolling out with the Lumia Cyan update, many users found out that because they were using Windows Phone 8.1 Preview, now they cannot update Cyan. This is an issue the company is aware of and it is working on fix it, but in the meantime users can use a simple workaround.
Live Lock Screen app for Windows Phone 8.1 arrives to the Windows Phone Store adding 6 new lock screen animations when unlocking your phone. (Although, the app is in beta.)
For Chrome users, this week I wrote a new how-to that’s going to help reduce the distraction when using Bing and it also makes Chrome tabbing a lot better.
Finally, Apple releases OS X Yosemite Preview and anyone can download it now. All this and more…
Welcome to 10Alert: IT Digest edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- Live Lock Screen app for Windows Phone 8.1 now available for download in beta
- How Windows Phone 8.1 Preview users can update to Lumia Cyan
- Microsoft confirms ‘Threshold Mobile’ will merge Windows RT with Windows Phone
- How to get a less distracting Bing and better Chrome tab
- How to download OS X Yosemite for free from Apple
- Defining what ‘One Windows’ means for customers
- A walk into Microsoft’s secret Surface labs (video)
- Cortana gets into home automation
- Leaked Windows 9 screenshots reveals updated Start menu and a bit more
- In 39 videos Microsoft shows how to use Windows Phone 8.1
- HooToo easily adds Ethernet + three USB 3.0 ports to Surface Pro 3