This week on tech, Microsoft pushes patch for Internet Explorer and even though Windows XP support has ended, the company decided to release the update for the 13-year-old operating system too.
Windows 8.1 Smart Search gets smarter with a new update that allows users to ask questions in natural language to get things done quicker. So the next time you need to install a printer, simply ask: “How do I install a printer?”
On mobile, this week Microsoft confirms that Windows Phone 8.1 will get an official File Manager in May. The company also released Movie Moments and Reading List apps for Windows Phone 8.1 sharing many of the same functionality found in the Windows 8.1 version of apps.
Office for iPad gets first update adding print support for documents, spreadsheet, and presentations, and a few other new features as well. OneNote on the other hand has also been updated for iPhone and Mac bringing print, copy and paste, Office Lens, and much more.
In May Xbox 360 users with Xbox Live Gold subscriptions will get two free new games: Dust: An Elysian Tail and Saints Row: The Third.
Microsoft creates “Special Projects” group to work on areas of networking, distributed computing, UX design, devices, cloud, mobility, machine learning/artificial intelligence, big data and data center technologies to challenge Google X. Also Microsoft Research releases new video showcasing a new keyboard prototype with support for hand gestures.
Finally after 3 years Mozilla revamps Firefox with a new look in version 29. All this and more.
Welcome to 10Alert: IT Digest edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- Windows Phone 8.1 to get File Manager in May
- OneNote for iPhone and Mac updated with print, copy and paste, Office Lens, and more
- Microsoft pushes KB2964358 to fix IE flaw on every OS, Windows XP included
- Windows 8.1 Bing Smart Search updated with natural language
- Xbox 360 free games for May: ‘Dust: An Elysian Tail’ and ‘Saints Row: The Third’
- Microsoft’s Movie Moments app now available for Windows Phone 8.1
- First Office for iPad update arrives with print support
- Firefox 29 gets major facelift and new features (video)
- Microsoft creates ‘Special Projects’ group to challenge Google X
- Microsoft Research integrates hand gestures to keyboard (video)