This week on tech, Microsoft is planning to release the next build of Windows 10, which will focus on consumer features including Continuum and Cortana. We’re also expecting the company to introduce a mobile version of Windows 10, and Microsoft plans to name the next build “January Technical Preview” instead of “Consumer Preview”.
As the rumor suggests that Microsoft will introduce Cortana for Windows 10 in January, a leaked older version of Windows 10 already shows Cortana running on the desktop.
Speaking about Cortana, this week the software giant made available its digital assistant for Windows Phone in four more European countries, including Italy, Spain, Germany, and France.
Also this week Windows 10 build 9888 leaked onto the web, this is an unreleased version of the operating system, and even though the current official released build is the 9879, this 9888 shows a bit more of improvements.
For Windows 10 build 9879, Microsoft early this week rolled out an update known as KB3020114 to fix Explorer crashing issue, though many users quickly found out that they couldn’t install the update. Microsoft is working on the problem and now recommends a workaround to get the patch installed.
If you still wondering when Redmond will actually ship the final version of Windows 10, this could happen in late summer or early fall, according to new information.
This week we also learned to fix the wireless network adapter in Windows 8.1, when there is not internet access and you get the “Unidentified Network” error message. How to perfectly sort pictures in folders on any version of Windows (must read). And how to create a bootable USB of Mac OS X using Windows.
Google is adding Microsoft Office editing capability in Gmail, which is a convenient feature for users, but not a good business for Microsoft as it shows that Google is trying to keep users from using Office.
Finally, on December 3rd, Sony PlayStation celebrated its 20th anniversary of the original game console, and to celebrate the occasion the company is releasing the PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Limited Edition, featuring the original gray color and colorful logo. All this and more…
Welcome to 10Alert: IT Digest edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- Microsoft on track to release Windows 10 in late summer, early fall
- This is Cortana running on the Windows 10 desktop (video)
- How to quickly make a Mac OS X bootable USB on Windows
- Cortana arrives in Spain, Italy, Germany, and France
- Windows 10 January Technical Preview to include Cortana and Continuum
- How to fix ‘KB3020114 fails to install’ in Windows 10 build 9879 (workaround)
- Windows 10: new Settings app features Search, Maps, Optional Features, and better organization
- Gmail adds Microsoft Office document editing feature inside of your inbox
- PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary Limited Edition announced with original grey color
- Microsoft pushes KB3020114 update to fix Explorer crashing issue in Windows 10 build 9879
- Windows 10 build 9888: all the new stuff from the leaked version (video)
- How to perfectly sort pictures in folders in Windows
- Windows 10 build 9888 ISO leaked and ready for download from file sharing sites
- How to fix Unidentified Network, no internet access, error in Windows 8.1