This week on tech, the Microsoft Band gets its first major update bringing new Bike tile, SDK for developers, and even a tiny virtual keyboard. OneDrive for Windows Phone also picked up an update with multiple accounts and security PIN code access for content, and a new Albums feature.
Microsoft now lets customers download the Windows 7 ISO files, but there is a caveat on who gets the right to download the installation media. The Xbox team now offers official support for Xbox One on Reddit, now users from the community won’t need to look for other official channels to deal with issues.
Cortana for Windows Phone is about to get two more features: Showtimes + Trailers and Pick the Winners entertainment features.
New rumor suggests that Microsoft will relocate the search functionality on Windows 10 to the Start menu in upcoming builds, which also suggests that Cortana will also move the new menu.
Google releases a new app called YouTube Kids and as the name implies, it’s an app that will allow little mind to watch videos safely in YouTube. The app also includes parental control that allows parents to control what kids watch and for how long they can watch videos in the service.
Also this week, Microsoft announced that students and teachers around the world can easily check if they qualify to download Office 365 for free, when their schools are already using the product.
New report from GFI Software shows that Windows is one of the most secure operating system in the market, as Apple’s Mac OS X and iOS, and Linux were the operating systems with the most vulnerability reported in 2014.
This week, the VideoLAN team rolled out a new update for its VLC media player that brings the software to all versions of Windows, including Windows 10, Windows RT, Windows Phone 8.1, and Windows 8.1, making the software a true Universal app.
Microsoft publishes a new video highlighting how the future might look like within 10 years with technology that is already available today. Surprisingly, the company’s vision doesn’t include smartphones as communication will be available from any device.
Nowadays, software are becoming smarter and so the people that use them, but there will be times when you might need professional support to clean your computer from viruses and malware. If you happen to live near to a Microsoft Store, you should know that the retail store offers free Windows PC support, regardless where you’ve purchased the device.
On how-to, this week I have created a comprehensive guide that walks you through all the steps to properly perform a clean installation of Windows 10. And I also published a new guide to help you move apps to a different virtual desktops, as it’s not a very intuitive feature in Windows 10.
Finally, free games with Gold for March have been announced and Microsoft will live stream its Mobile World Congress press event on March 2. All this and more…
Welcome to 10Alert: IT Digest edition. Each weekend I will bring you a compilation of articles of the week, including how-to guides, features, tech news, and more. This is simply a list with a brief description of pieces you might have missed or you might just want to read again.
- VLC updated to work on all Windows devices becoming a true Universal app
- Microsoft now offers official Xbox One support on Reddit
- Windows 10: How to perform a clean installation, the ultimate walkthrough
- How to watch Microsoft’s Mobile World Congress event live stream
- OneDrive for Windows Phone update brings PIN code, multiple accounts, and Albums features
- How to download Windows 7 ISO with a valid product key
- March Xbox One and Xbox 360 free games with Gold
- Microsoft vision of the future has bendable displays, holograms, but not smartphones (video)
- Windows is more secure, Mac OS X and iOS take lead as the most vulnerable operating systems
- Cortana gets ‘Showtimes + Trailers’ and ‘Pick the Winners’ entertainment features
- Windows 10: How to move apps to a new virtual desktop
- How to get free Windows PC support, virus and malware removal at the Microsoft Store
- Students around the world can download Office 365 for free
- Microsoft Band gets major update with virtual keyboard, Bike tile, and new SDK
- Google releases YouTube Kids app for Android and iOS
- Windows 10: Search will relocate to the Start menu in upcoming builds