Making backups is of great importance for data security, both on private and work devices. What is backup? Why is it worth making a backup?
In this tutorial, we will get you through back up with Windows 10 built-in tool or with a professional third-party program – MiniTool ShadowMaker.
Why back up?
Backup, or data backup, is a solution that is used to prevent the loss of valuable data stored on the device. The backup can be made e.g. on a computer or smartphone.
This is especially useful when:
- We are dealing with a device failure which resulted in data loss
- The device has been lost or stolen and we want to recover the data that was on it
- We do not trust 100% virtual clouds and we want to have a copy of important data
- We want to minimize the risk of data loss in a situation when the software or computer freezes or becomes infected with a virus
- We sometimes delete a file or data by mistake
- More people have access to our device
- We want a copy of the settings that we usually use on the device
What is backup?
We already know what backup is and what its most important functions are. How do we back up our data? At the beginning, it is worth developing a good habit and drawing up a backup schedule for each device we use, i.e. computer, tablet, smartphone.
Backup consists in making a copy of the data and storing it in a safe place. Data can be ripped to DVD or external drive. They can also be posted in the cloud. The backup process is quite simple and intuitive - most devices perform such an operation automatically - just select the appropriate option.
In Windows 10
- Go to Control Panel. The control panel has settings to manage most of the computer's functions.
- Here, open the System and Security dialog.
- Tap on Backup and Restore
- Here you will see Create a System Image. You have to touch it.
- Now you will have to choose the location of your backup data. You can save the backup to a hard drive or an external source.
- Press Next to start the backup process, tap the Start backup button.
- The system image has been created. You can also create an additional System Image on USB or DVD / CD.
A good professional backup program allows you to back up individual files or folders, as well as entire partitions or disks, and then store them safely on a separate physical storage device. It also allows you to restore the operating system efficiently in the event that the hard disk is damaged or our computer is infected with a virus. They also save space by making full backups or system images.
MiniTool ShadowMaker has the option of using backup modes (full, incremental, differential and scheduled), as well as efficient recovery feature after a failure, infection or accidental deletion of important files. The application is distinguished by a clear interface, thanks to which the operation for the user is intuitive and simple.
Backup is never limited to computers and laptops. Also in the case of mobile devices, care should be taken to backup them and to synchronize them as often as possible. In this way, in the event of a failure of one of your devices, you can count on quick finding of files on other equipment.